Friday, February 15, 2008

Shoehorn Speculum

(February 15/08)

Twelve days until my push into the world, that first grunt, head pointed, an inversion of skin and tallow. Thankfully the pediatrician didn’t have to use the shoehorn-speculum, forcing it between my dear mother’s ovum-ketch and the base of my skull, barely missing the kip of my Flatbush fontanel. I wonder, I do, whether a colporteur might have been within peddling reach, a tome-case of first edition King James’ and a packet of Wriggle’s Pepomint gum. Shoehorn-speculum and the smell of wintergreen and janitorial cleanup. Stranger things have happened, I suppose, like a colporteur with a hacksaw singing a wren’s-aria, feet firmly implanted in the checkerboard-checkers, black and white, white and black, black, white, white black. My birth-birthing, doula (a woman who is experienced in childbirth and who provides physical, emotional, and informational assistance and support to a mother before, during, or after childbirth) doodling a fair to middling day, as fair to middling days go, one might suppose. Simple-simpering foolscap, not a moments rest for the grunt-weary and incontinent, no such luck at all.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive