Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hegel, Schopenhauer or Fichte

True, I should be abed slumbering the sleep of the intellectually incontinent, but as this is not to be, nor the case, as cases go, I sit here amid the debris of my life thinking up not-so clever things to say. As things go, having nothing to say would be a boon, a big-ass Daniel Boon I’d say, the clever bastard that I am, or so claim to be, or not, as the case may or may not be.

Philosophy has been the ruin of my life! I’d be much better equipped to take on the world’s vagaries were I not so philosophically-inclined, or declined, as the case may be. For the life of me I Kant make any sense of Hegel, Schopenhauer or Fichte. Unlike most scholarly pursuits philosophy has no dustbin, philosophers recycle everything until their tenure runs out, or time permitting, the cows come home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hegel's Philosopy of History is the most ponderous text I have ever read. The only truly interesting part was his account of the founding of Rome, at one time a place of thieves and murderers before it ever was the Holy City. So our origins being rooted in a crime has always struck me as noteworthy.

As for Schopenhauer, it was not so much his philosophy that amused me, but the account of him throwing his landlady down a flight of stairs.

Gary

Stephen Rowntree said...

...yes, and the fact that Goethe, who was friendly with Schopenhauer's mother, thought Arthur to be somewhat of a hack...poor sod.

As for Hegel, no Hegel, no Marx, no Marx, no Lenin, no Lenin no Trotsky-ice-pick.

Thanks for reading along Gary, it a pleasure to read your comments.

S

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive