Friday, February 24, 2006

NEBBISHnESS3


Much of Anything At All Much
(Feb 24/06)
I’m not much good at starting the day, truth be known, I’m not much good at anything. Shoe tying, banking, finding employment, keeping employment, asking for help, forgiving those who trespass and anything at all to do with much of anything. I am stolid, prone to anxieties, and acutely aware of my surroundings and have what my barber calls a whirl on the crown of my head. I am overweight, hard of hearing, precocious, almost cross-eyed, fated with fallen arches and intolerant to a fault. I am impatient, impudent, apt to outbursts of anger and vexation, on time, yet unpredictable, hasty and small-minded. I am not in possession of a suit, a sports coat, ties, ascots or bolos. I have neither brogues two-eyelet slip-ons nor fashionable loafers, nor have I cuffed trousers or links. I have no idea how to convey an automobile, van, pickup or sports-utility vehicle. I own a bicycle that I seldom ride, a set of dumbbells, green with silver collars, and a length of elastic band used for physiotherapy pulling and stretching, yellow. My hair is all the same length, with the exception of my bangs, which are receding into the whirl on the crown of my head. I smoke too much, exercise too little, and have an absolute disregard for the welfare of the barking dogs. I eat whatever is handy, drink faucet water and use disposable razors. I read too much, listen badly and eat chocolate, as I find carob unappetizing and chalky. I only wear underwear if my trousers have a tear in them, and denim, never corduroy, rayon or gray flannel. I do nothing well and everything wrong. I am not much good at anything, nor am I good at starting the day, truth be known.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephen,

I guess this means we can't use your car to ship boxes over to Fitzpatrick's new store this weekend...

...are you any good at lugging books?

Nigel

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive