Monday, February 06, 2006

dASEIN on the lIFFEY


Heidegger’s Ulysses
(Feb 06/06)
I have a response, better yet, a supplement to Heidegger’s Ulyssean ‘Being and Time’. Time is memory, or a recollection of a past, a passing, or an almost past, as in the Freudian notion of the unconscious. Point in case, those suffering with dementia praecox or Alzheimer disease share a neuro-psychological co-morbidity. They have little to no short-term memory, and in some cases, no long-term memory whatsoever. Without access to, or in this instance, recourse to memory, time becomes moot or non-linear. There is sanguinity of dates, events, recalls and time, meaning, no time or concept of time other than the present, the moment, the now. If time is memory, or recollection, then time ceases to ‘be’ when memory stops, or when the capacity for recollection or recall is stilted or altogether missing. What time is it? I have no idea. I have no past, no memory of anything, not even the present, the moment, the now. In fact, I can’t be absolutely clear that I have a ‘now’, or a present, or an ‘in the moment’ at all, none whatsoever. I can’t even remember if I have a present, as I’m always in the ‘now’, the moment, the ‘this’. I have no concept of ‘that’, or ‘this was’, or ‘that was that’, or ‘then not this’. Time is memory or the recollection of something past or in passing, the leverage on which the present, the ‘now’, the ‘moment’ rests. Without a past to reference the present in, or from, there is no moment, no ‘this is now’, no ‘this is’. The Freudian repressed blocks and tackles the need (the often cautionary need) for a past, a storehouse of memories, rebuses and past events or traumas. But then again, what the Hades’ do I know about memories, cool or not, or things that go bump in the night or neuropsychology? Nothing, I assure you, not a damnable thing whosoever, nada.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive