Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Bacillus Brevis

A stray dog hurried across the blacktop tongue stretched like a slingshot. A three-legged greyhound sidled the sideways, a ball of fleas worming in the stump, dogteeth sharpened on flank-steak and eye-of-the-round. I (the author) need to relieve the grammatical tension that batters my thinking thoughts: astride the grave, lingeringly. I know, as I must, of course, that I have little if anything to say about all this, this bidding and battering, but all things being equal, which they seldom are, I shall: astride the grave, lingeringly, astride. Perhaps it is I that am the dog, tongue stretched like a slingshot three-legging it across the sideways, a ball of worms worming, lingeringly. Gramicidin (antibiotic obtained from the bacterial species Bacillus brevis, which is found in soil. Gramicidin is particularly effective against gram-positive bacteria (see Gram's stain). Because the drug is highly toxic, it cannot be administered internally and so is used only on the skin as a lotion or ointment. It is used primarily in the treatment of infected surface wounds, and in eye, nose, and throat infections. In 1939 the American microbiologist René Dubos isolated the substance tyrothricin and later showed that it was composed of two substances, gramicidin and tyrocidine. These were the first antibiotics to be manufactured commercially) such as it is

No comments:

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive