Thursday, April 06, 2006

sCATOLOGY1


Waking Wakefulness

I awoke with a whooping crack in the anterior posterior lobe of my skullcap. Like most mornings, all, in fact, all that I care to remember to forget, whooping and geeing and remonstrating are de rigor, mortis de Pieta. I was thinking sum thoughts, not algebraic or calculus, but the sum of all thoughts, the simulacrum of thoughts thought and the thinking of those thought thoughts. Thinking, I’ve come to think, is a waste of time, hooliganism, a punch in the solaria nexus. Who, I perhaps, gives a rat’s ass what I think or not, thoughts and thoughtlessness, all a vapid exercise in trough supping. Saltlicks and honey-sticks, saxhorn yellow yellows and nicotine sullied finger nubs, all or nothing, as is the case or not. Callowness and jackdaw wings ripping rectums of air, mourning air, not frigid and apoplectic as some seem wont to suggest. A schizoid response to a prophylactic world disorder; milling needs and fractures with a scullery whore’s eye for neat edges and folded over cover slips, cowslips, mordant cup swill and Sherry’s crocked in elm barrels stopped with bunghole corkier. I best attend to the day, or what remains of the day a day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your writing can be read clearly in accord with your own mode of speech (I hear it, is what I'm sayin'). You and Amy Schmitter keeping in touch to throw hands over metaphors?

Stephen Rowntree said...

You must have been at the philosophy thingamjig at Carleton some few weeks ago. Amy, I fear, has neither the patience nor good fortune of keeping company with me; which was quite obvious from her hysteria-salvo. Dear me.

S

Anonymous said...

"Dear me" is right, she was dreadfully irritating (even as a speaker); though I loved listening to the rest of the philosophers that day. They certainly steered generally clear of poetry, sadly, but I'm not really surprised.

About Me

My photo
"Poetry is the short-circuiting of meaning between words, the impetuous regeneration of primordial myth". Bruno Schulz
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive